100 Ways to Use the Top 10 Essential Oils
100 WAYS TO USE THE HOME ESSENTIALS KIT
The Home Essentials Kit comes with ten of the most popular oils- a great way to get started!
There are literally thousands of uses for the oil in this kit but I have put together a few of my fav top 10 ways to use them.
Lavender Essential Oil Ideas
First Aid in a bottle. When in doubt use I always lavender!
- Diffuse Lavender with a few drops of Vetiver to help fall asleep and stay asleep. You might also enjoy the Serenity (Lavender Peace in Australia) blend, which includes Lavender. This works wonders for jet lag or those nights that you just can’t seem to shut your racing mind off.
- Fun for the kiddies: play dough! Try purple and add some Lavender, Orange and some Wild Orange, Green or Blue with some Balance, they will get the calming effects of the oils while they play! Recipe here.
- Calm the kids with a lavender foot massage. Diluted with carrier oil and rub the soles of their feet to calm them down before bed. I also like to mix with water and make a spray to spritz (my pillow) and their bed as well. Why is it mom’s best friend? Find out why
- Soak away your days troubles. Mix a cup of Epsom salts, baking soda, and a few drops of Lavender to your bath.
- Head To Toe Rest! Soothe sore muscles after a hard work out or a long day on your feet, rub Lavender along with Lemongrass on your legs and feet.
- Soothe a sore babies bum, mix lavender and geranium in coconut oil and use at change time. You can also make your own chemical free baby wipes!
- HOT! For burns apply diluted Lavender oil to the affected area to soothe skin irritation, relieves pain redness and ease swelling.
- Homemade Aftershave. Use after shaving to soothe and soften skin and to lessen the redness and burning caused by razor burn.
- Take the “Ouch” out. One drop of Lavender will help relieve the pain and sensitivity of occasional sore gums, teething, dry or chapped lips, occasional scrapes and abrasions, or after too much sun. Also works great for soothing irritated bug bites!
- Clear the mind and soothe emotions. Apply Lavender to the temples and back of neck to lessen the effects of stress and anxious feeling and to promote mental clarity. Or simple just inhale straight from the bottle.
Lemon Essential Oil Ideas
- Soothe an irritated throat, layer Frankincense and Lemon over the throat area or take a drop of Lemon in a small amount of raw honey.
- Lemonize your life: Diffuse lemon to neutralize odours. You can also use a few drops on cotton balls and place in your fridge, car, in shoes, wherever you want to get rid of nasty smells. A drop in the garbage bin is a great deodorizer.
- 3pm pick me up: When lacking motivation or energy, inhale Lemon. Like all citrus oils, is very uplifting and also promotes positive mood and cognitive ability.
- Flavour boost, dōTERRA oils are safe enough to take internally therefore you could add a drop of Lemon essential oil anytime you are cooking with lemon juice to give a richer flavour. I love a drop on papaya (to take me back to Hawaii), on salmon or in my homemade hummus.
- Smell lemons not chemicals: Add a couple drops of Lemon essential oil to your dishwater or to the rinse section of your dishwasher. Lemon is amazing at cutting through grease and grime and will live your glassware sparkling.
- Make an All Purpose Cleaning Spray. In a glass bottle with a spray trigger add a quarter cup of Vinegar and 30 drops of your choice of essential oils, any Citrus oil like Lemon will make a great cleaner (disinfects and deodorizes) You could also add a squirt of the dōTERRA cleaner concentrate, spray and wipe. Full recipe
- Remove sticky labels with lemon essential oil! Simply add a few drops of the oil to the label, wait a minute or so and it will peel right off.
- DYI pledge: Make your own natural wood polish using olive oil and Lemon or Wild Orange essential oil. Recipehere.
- See ya allergies: Lemon promotes a healthy respiratory function; try diffusing two drops Lemon, two drops Peppermint and two drops Lavender for a great seasonal allergy relief blend. For a more convenient approach; try dōTERRA’s Triease Softgels which contain Lemon essential oil.
- Wash and clean your produce. A few drops of lemon to water will do the job! Read more
Peppermint Essential Oil Ideas
- Add a few drops to your chocolate energy ball recipe to bring them to life! Peppermint makes a delicious addition to all things chocolate. Yum!
- Bad Breath? Take a drop of Peppermint essential oil in water and swish and spit. Make a batch for your bathroom and you’ve got yourself a DYI mouthwash.
- Support Healthy Breathing. Dilute a drop of Peppermint oil combined with Fractionated Coconut Oil and place under your nose to support open airways and help you breathe easily.
- Peppermint is a fantastic way to cool down in the summer or soothe a sun burn. Recipe for an after sun spray
- Hot Feet? Time to soak ‘em. A few drops of peppermint essential oil and some epsom salts in a little foot bath. Just a little or your feet will be too chilly.
- Diffuse Peppermint and Wild Orange to keep you alert and focused on the task at hand. This is another jet lag go-to for me…perks me up when I need it.
- Treat yourself or someone else: try making this Whipped Peppermint Foot Lotion!
- THIS IS MY FAV! Ease tension or headaches. Apply lavender and peppermint diluted to neck and forehead to ease the pressure. So cooling! I have my premade roller bottle that is always in my purse.
- Try making your own toothpaste! Use equal parts of baking soda and Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, add ten drops of peppermint, stir and store in a glass jar, minty fresh and no nasty chemicals. Find out how
- Tummy Calmer, take a drop of peppermint oil and dilute with dōTERRA-fractionated coconut oil and rub clockwise on your tummy.
Frankincense Essential Oil Ideas
- Calm Down. Inhale Frankincense with Lavender and Peppermint and apply to neck to help calm stress and relieve tension.
- Nourish Your Skin. Use a drop of Frankincense with 3 drops of carrier oil or dōTERRA Spa Hand and Body Lotion for beautiful, radiant looking skin. Try the Salubelle (Immortelle from the US) for your face. Frankincense has been used for centuries for challenged skin, skin problems and nearly everything related to skin. It’s wonderful for aging skin too! Apply directly to the skin.
- Overworked Hands? Rub Frankincense on your hands after a long day of hands on work to promote a normal inflammatory response. This works great for my swollen finger joints.
- Time To Focus. Apply 1-2 drops to your temples and the back of your neck to help improve your concentration. It’s also one of the oils in the Intune Focus Blend.
- Spread The Love. Frankincense smells wonderful and uplifts the mood. Wear it as a perfumeto lift your mood and feelings of alertness. The Balance Blend contains the ever so versatile Frank.
- Nails Of Steel. Dry weather can take a toll on your nails. Try applying a drop of Frankincense to strengthen weak fingernails.
- A drop a day. Add a drop of Frankincense with honey in your herbal tea and take daily to maintain good health. Cellular Vigour- Frankincense promotes healthy cellular proliferation which supports every cell in your body.
- Cold or Flu Buster. Next time you have a respiratory infection from a cold or flu, use frankincense essential oil to help provide relief from coughing. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory in the nasal passages making breathing easier, even for those with allergies or asthma. Better yet~Prevention: I like to put a drop of frankincense on my tongue or on chest to help support the immune system to naturally fight viruses.
- Relax And Revitalize. Soak in a warm Frankincense bath to calm the nerves or diffuse Frankincense in the bathroom while you relax in the tub. Such a calming woodsy aroma.
- Calm your nerves. Frankincense can be applied to the bottoms of feet to relax and calm mood swings. Great for grounding during mediation or yoga. Diffuse in the room or massage a drop onto the chest or back of the neck.
Tea Tree (Melaleuca in the US) Ideas
- Zit Zapper: You can also apply to skin blemishes and rashes as part of a daily cleansing program.
- Say Goodbye To Razor Burn! Apply diluted Melaleuca and fractionated coconut oil after shaving to prevent any skin irritation. Consider also mixing with Lavender or Frankincense for added benefit.
- Refresh Your Wash. Add a couple drops of Melaleuca to laundry detergent. Works great for those smelly towels.
- Baby Bottom Remedy. Mix with Fractionated Coconut Oil, Lavender, and Frankincense to make a diaper paste for baby’s irritated skin.
- Relieves earaches; Place 1-2 drops on a cotton ball (with Lavender) and place over the ear; fixing in place with tape. Never place essential oils IN the ear.
- Bug be gone! Spray your kids hats and hair with water, Tea Tree and Rosemary; head lice DON’T like these oils.
- First Aid: Tea tree is great for occasional scrapes and skin irritations, as it works as an antiseptic on small cuts.
- Foot problems? If you are showering, swimming or exercising in public, high traffic public areas apply melaleuca directly to the feet or apply to toenails if fungus has gotten the best of them.
- Chemical-Free Cleaning. Clean your tools(see here) A few drops in a water to soak your makeup brushes and toothbrushes. Or dilute 8-10 drops with water in a spray bottle to clean around the house or as a yoga mat cleaner.
- Wipe out Mildew: mix 5-10 drops of tea tree oil with 1 cup of water in a spray bottle. Spray directly onto the mildew and allow it to sit for 3-5 minutes before wiping it clean with a damp cloth. The tea tree oil should inhibit the growth of future bacteria.
Oregano Essential Oil Ideas
Less Is More. Oregano is a very hot/caustic oil and is one of the most potent essential oils—PLEASE BE CAREFUL and use safety when using oregano. Always heavily dilute for topical use. Stay away from sensitive areas and wash your hands thoroughly. I can tell you from experience that it will heat up pretty quickly if applied undiluted!
- Clean and Purify surfaces with Oregano oil, you could add a few drops to your All Purpose Cleaning Spray!
- Apply to warts, surround the area with Fractionated Coconut Oil and apply a drop of Oregano Oil to a bandaid and cover every day for at least a week.
- Mama Mia! Bring the flavour of Italy into your cooking; add a drop to your big batch of Spaghetti sauce/ pizza sauce, on a roast or Bolognese (just a drop adds SO much flavour)
- Natural Defence: Support the immune system by applying Oregano with OnGuard the Protective blend to the soles of the feet (diluting with Fractionated Coconut Oil of course) and/or adding this combo to your diffuser for the whole family to benefit.
- Oregano is also a fantastic respiratory support. Diffuse a few drops with Easy Air/Breathe at night. Apply diluted down your spine.
- Health begins with a good gut! Oregano is a key ingredient in dōTERRA’s GX Assist, for good reason! It acts as a cleanse and support a healthy digestive tract. Oregano oil is known to stimulate the flow of bile into the digestive organs, enhancing the digestive process.
- Chilly Feet? I can’t sleep if my feet are cold so I like to dilute 1 drop of Oregano in a decent amount of fractionated coconut oil and massage my feet to warm them up before bed.
- Ward off insects. Carvacrol in oregano oil works as a natural insect repellant. Try putting a few drops on outdoor furniture to keep the pests away.
- Spot treatment for those little skin imperfections. Skin tags or age spots will be lessened but use sparingly! Oregano is potent. Dilute 1 drop to 2ml carrier oil for adults.
- Protection Against Harmful Organisms. If you’ve consumed undercooked meat or impure water Oregano will help rid those unwanted invaders residing inside of your belly.
On Guard Protective Blend Ideas
- Diffuse On Guard anytime you are concerned about what germs are in the air especially after being out in crowded public areas. Find out why it works
- Carpet Freshener: Add 15 drops of On Guard or Purify blend to a cup of cornstarch or baking soda. Mix, sprinkle and sweep on carpet then allow it to sit for up to an hour. Then, vacuum it clean!
- Protect! Take On Guard Softgels before, during and after a plane trip to support your Immune System and ward off Environmental threats.
- Diffuse, diffuse, diffuse! If there is a lot of traffic in my home I have this going to cleanse and purify the air.
- Scrub a dub dub!! Mix 5-6 drops with a half-cup of baking soda to clean your bath tub and skip all of the harsh, bleaching chemicals. Put in a spray bottle and spray your shower-Clove oil (which is in OnGuard) is a great mould killer!
- Mouth Moment: Fantastic blend for dental health (it contains Clove after all!) Apply On Guard directly to your teeth and gums with some Coconut Oil (or add a drop to your toothpaste) to soothe irritated irritation. You could also try oil pulling with a tablespoon of Virgin Coconut oil and a drop or two of On Guard (See here). For a clean toothbrush, soak it in a small glass of water with 3-5 drops of On Guard.
- Protected on the GO-Make your own SAFE Hand Sanitizer. Mix 5 Tablespoons aloe vera gel, 4 Tablespoons water, 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin E oil and 8-10 drops On Guard Protective Blend in a small squeeze bottle.
- Clean your Oven! Caked on black oven gunk does not easily come off. Make a mix of baking soda, water, OnGuard and Lemon essential oil and apply, then scrub off. All done and no nasty chemicals.
- Make your own Foaming Hand Soap.
- Add a drop of OnGuard to your apple sauce or soak cut apples in water with a drop or two of OnGuard for a yummy immune boosting snack with a zing!
DigestZen Blend Ideas
- Tame a tummy. I like to have a roller on hand at all times. Dilute appropriately and give yourself, child or bub a gentle clockwise massage. So fast acting.
- I like to take a drop in water half an hour before meals to enhance digestion!
- Get those anxious knots or butterflies in your stomach? Digestzen will help calm it.
- Eaten something that hasn’t agreed with you all that well….Digestzen in a glass of water!
- Planes, Trains, Boats and Automobiles: A trip is fun but motion sickness or queasiness is often a problem for the stomach. When traveling, make sure DigestZen goes with you. I like to add a drop under my tongue or simply inhale it to calm my stomach.
- Over indulged?? Apply Digestzen to your stomach to help digestion and ease discomfort.
- Take the heat out! Sip Digestzen with water to calm the burn of heart burn or acid reflux (this I my fav go-to)
- A Great Neutralizer. Use 1-2 drops in 4-6 ounces of water as a mouth rinse with water at night if you’ve eaten a meal with strong smells, like garlic, onion, curries and more. If you like the taste of black licorice, you will love the taste of DigestZen because of the Fennel essential oil.
- After a big night out Digestzen can make a great mouth wash. Add a few drops in water and rinse well.
- When you travel or venture out to an unfamiliar restaurant, it’s easy to have digestive distress. Prevent discomfort by taking DigestZen to prevent or lessen the effects of certain foods.
Easy Air (or Breathe if ordering from the US Warehouse) Ideas
- Support seasonal respiratory discomfort and sleep ease. Use a few drops in the diffuser by the bed (I also like to add a drop or two of OnGuard and Oregano for an extra immunity boost). See
- Make a chest, foot and back rub to support the respiratory system. Use between 1-5 drops of the blend to 10ml carrier depending on age. Keep in a roller bottle for easy application.
- Vapour house! When Im stuffed up I fill a bowl with boiling water, add a drop of Easy Air to it, place a towel over my head and inhale deeply. Instant relief!
- Breathe is a miracle oil for asthma maintenance and relief. Diffuse or inhale straight from the bottle when in need.
- Short of breath? Feeling anxious, claustrophobic, chest feels tight? Use breathe, it will literally help you breathe!!
- Runner Tricks! Add a few drops of Breathe to the palms of your hands before a run. When in need open your palms and take a deep breath! Ahhhhh…keep on going!
- Boost your brainpower!! The Respiratory Blend contains Eucalyptus essential oil, which is known to help stimulate mental activity and wake up your mind. The powerfully beneficial oils of Peppermint, Lemon, and Melaleuca are all included in Breathe and are perfect if you are feeling under the weather.
- Snorers relief! Diffusing in the bedroom will open up airways and provide relief. Extra bonus: better sleep for all!
- Make a stuffy space more breathable and light by diffusing this blend.
- Boot camp basics! I love to apply breathe to my chest or inhale straight from the bottle before exercising to help to open up and invigorate my lungs!
Ice Blue (called Deep Blue if ordering from US) Ideas
- Support your workout. Rub diluted on muscles before and after exercise to reduce discomfort.
- Computer pains? Try rubbing this blend diluted on the shoulders and neck to recover and ease muscle tension.
- Fingers needing some TLC? Stuck at the computer or texting too much? This blend is great for those who spend long hours typing. Just massage into the hands, fingers and wrists when needed.
- Growing pains: Massage Ice Blue diluted in carrier oil onto the growing kids’ legs before bedtime to help with occasional aches associated with growth spurts.
- Best of Both Worlds: This blend provides a cooling and warming sensation that cools joints yet warms muscles and soothes occasional joint or bone pain.
- This Soothing Blend contains blue tansy and Helichrysum which when used regularly, can help promote long term muscle, joint and bone health. It can also help promote and maintain normal inflammatory response in cells.
- When the kids come home with a few bumps from their sports activities, apply Deep Blue to effected areas to help support localized blood flow.
- Muscle Miracle: Occasionally, muscles will cramp if they have been worked hard or are lacking the vitamins they need. For these muscle cramps, try massaging Deep Blue into the area.
- This blend provides a cooling and warming sensation that cools joints yet warms muscles and soothes occasional joint or bone pain. Keep your runner’s knee in tiptop condition with Deep Blue. Application after a long run will help soothe the joint and promote strong, healthy muscles.
- Take this blend to your next massage and ask your therapist to use it on you (a great way to introduce the oils to them too!).
These are just a few of the ways to use these amazing oils.
Remember that a little goes a long way:
- Nine 15ml bottles (approx. 250 drops in each)
- One 5ml bottle (approx. 85 drops)
*Many of these ideas have been adapted from the dōTERRA blog post and this article is from my colleague Erin over at Erin Naturally.